Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Whispers of Shaitan

Allah (swt) has given shaitan the ability to influence our minds and misguide us from the right path. Everyone of us is being chased by shaitan day and night. It's greatest weapon is to induce acceptable logic in our minds to follow the misguidance. I have just highlighted few of those below:

1.“ At least I am better than some people”

Often we compare ourselves with some other people who doesn't obey Allah and then get satisfaction comparing with those people that we are better than them. Like people say " I may not pray but at least I don't take bribe" or " I don't fast but at least I don't drink alcohol" so on and so forth. But they forget that we will be judged according to the adherence of commands and prohibitions of Quran and Sunnah but not according to the other person. So it doesn't matter how good we are compared to the other persons, we will be thrown to hell if we don't obey Allah.


"It is not fitting for a believer man or woman, when a matter has been decided by Allah and his Messenger to have any option about their decision" [Al-Ahzab Verse 36]


2. " It is the Shaitan who makes me do all evil things "

Allah didn't give shaitan the authority over His true believers. Allah mentioned in the Quran;

"Certainly you (shaitan) shall have no authority over my servants, except those who follow you of the ghawun (evil doers). And surely Hell is the promised place for them all." [Surah 15, Verse 43]

In the day of judgement shaitan will tell to his followers;

"Verily Allah promised you a promise of truth and I too promised you. But I betrayed you , I had no authority over you except that I called you , and you responded to me. So blame me not but blame yourselves. I cannot help you nor you can help me..." [Surah 14 Verse 22]

So, Shaitan doesn't force us to do any evil. It can only whisper in our ears and that's why we will be answerable on the day of judgement for our actions.


3. "As long as I am pure in my heart, Allah will forgive me"

Did Allah promised us something like this? if so then what is the source? No, there is no such promise from Allah that 'if I am good in my heart (no action) and believe in Islam I will be forgiven'. Belief without action has no value. In our daily life if we see someone's word and action doesn't match we call him hypocrite. Then what about us those who claim to belief in Islam but don't follow in our action? What is the point revealing so many commands and prohibitions if we are to be judged only for our belief/intention. Good intention doesn't make a haram to halal. We can't rob a bank to distribute the money to the poor !

Note in the following verses that Allah (swt) didn't leave judgement on someone's belief/intention only.

"And he who works deeds of righteousness, while he is a believer then he will have no fear of injustice, nor of any curtailment (of his reward)." [Ta-ha 20:75]

"And verily, I am indeed forgiving to him who repents, believes and does righteous good deeds, and then remains constant in doing them, (till his death)." [Ta-ha 20:82]

"Do people think that they will be left alone because they say; ‘ We believe,’ and will not be tested, And WE indeed tested those who were before them , and Allah will certainly make (it) known those who are true , and will certainly make (it) known (the falsehood of) those who are liars, Or think those who do evil deeds that they can outstrip Us (escape our punishment)? Evil is that which they judge!" 29:( Al-ankabut V 2-4)


4. " I will ask forgiveness at the later stage in my life"

Well, who can guarantee about his life for the next second? And even if I get chance at the later stage of life to ask forgiveness, will Allah forgive me ? Lets see what Allah says about this in Quran;

" Of no effect in the repentance of those who continue to do evil deeds, until death faces one of them, and he says 'Now I repent' nor those who die while they are disbelievers. For them we have prepared a painful torment." [An -Nisa Verse 18]


5. "At the moment it's too difficult for me to change"

This actually means that the person is happy with his current way of life. He doesn't want to change to what conforms to Islam. It's not the Islam rather our view point of life is making things difficult for us. So all we need is to change our view point towards life based on Quran and Sunnah. Allah (swt) says ;

"Allah doesn't place a burden upon a person except that which he is capable of " [Al-Baqara Verse 282]

So it's not true that we are not capable of changing. All we need is to strive with pure intention and insha Allah we will be guided towards the right path.


6. "Everything has been already written about me, so what can I do?"

So the person actually blaming Allah for his evil deeds. We have no knowledge of what has been written for us. But we do know that Allah has given us the ability to choose either guidance or misguidance. And Allah doesn't command us to do evil things. Then how come we blame our fate for the actions we do with our own choice? Allah (swt) says,

" Nay Allah never commands Fahisha (evil deed). Do you say of Allah what you know not ?" [Al-araf verse 28]


We make lots of excuses for not following Islam. May Allah protect us from the whispers of Shaitan and the laziness.

No comments: